50 Questions To Ask Your Charleston, SC Divorce Lawyer – Part 1
Your spouse has told you: “I’m not happy. I want a divorce.”
You don’t understand what is happening.
You don’t even know the right questions to ask in this emotionally, financially, and legally challenging time. you need help to get through some of the toughest decisions of your life.
You have come to the right place. In this article and in Part 2, you will find 50 topically grouped questions about Charleston divorce law, child custody, child support, alimony, division of marital property, and division of marital debts. You can use these questions to guide discussions with your Charleston, SC divorce lawyer.
10 Divorce Law Questions to Ask Your Charleston Family Law Attorney
You have a lot to learn about South Carolina divorce law and practices. You should start by asking your Charleston lawyer these divorce questions.
- What should I do first?
- What is the difference between a fault-based divorce and a no-fault divorce in Charleston, SC?
- What do I have to do to prove adultery in a Charleston, SC divorce?
- What are my options if I cannot file immediately for a fault-based divorce in Charleston, South Carolina?
- What are the differences between a Charleston divorce and a Charleston legal separation?
- How can I settle my Charleston, SC divorce without having a trial?
- How much do you charge for your retainer and how much will you charge me per hour as my Charleston, SC divorce attorney?
- Will my spouse have to pay for any of my attorney’s fees for our divorce?
- What are “temporary orders” and why may they be important in my Charleston, SC divorce case?
- Should I file for divorce first or wait for my spouse to file for divorce?
Before you call your Charleston divorce lawyer, you may also want to read the Charleston Divorce Guide and Helpful Charleston, SC Family Law Articles. In those articles, you will find general answers to many of your divorce law questions, as well as information on more complex South Carolina divorce law topics.
9 Child Custody Questions to Ask Your Charleston, SC Divorce Attorney
You want to stay fully involved with your children during and after your divorce. By asking the right child custody questions now, you will be better informed when your relationship with your children is on the line. You can start building a better life for your children by asking a Charleston child custody lawyer the following child custody questions.
- What should I do to protect my child custody rights?
- How is child custody determined in a Charleston, SC divorce?
- What should be included in a Charleston child custody parenting plan?
- What is the difference between legal child custody and physical child custody in a Charleston divorce?
- What type of witnesses and evidence will I need to prove the “best interests” of my child in a Charleston, SC child custody case?
- Will my children be allowed to choose where they will live after our Charleston divorce becomes final?
- Do mothers always get the children in a Charleston child custody dispute?
- Can I move or relocate to another city or state with my children after the divorce becomes final?
- What does sole custody mean in a Charleston child custody case?
For general answers to these and other Charleston child custody questions, you will want to read the Charleston Child Custody Guide. Too often, a well-intentioned father or mother makes a decision that looks good in the short term but which ultimately has very negative long-term effects on a parent-child relationship. Before you make a child custody agreement with your spouse, you should discuss these questions and much more with an experienced child custody attorney in Charleston.
6 Child Support Questions to Ask Your Charleston, SC Divorce Attorney
Child support is a major financial issue in most Charleston divorce cases. Whether you are paying or receiving child support, you should become fully informed on the subject. As long as your child is less than 19 years old, it will continue to be important in your life. The following questions address child support topics that you should discuss with your divorce lawyer in Charleston.
- What factors does a Charleston Family Court Judge consider in determining the amount of child support to be paid in a Charleston, SC divorce case?
- What do I have to prove to get the Charleston Family Court Judge to increase or decrease the amount of child support to be paid after my Charleston divorce becomes final?
- Will I be able to use the child-related income tax deductions, credits, and other tax benefits after my divorce becomes final?
- Can a Charleston Divorce Court Judge order payment of college expenses or child support after my child turns 18?
- If my spouse refuses to let me have child visitation, can I stop paying child support?
- What do I have to do to collect unpaid child support?
For general answers to these and other Charleston child support questions, you will want to read the Charleston Child Support Guide.
HELP FOR YOU
Divorce happens to good people. I am here to protect your rights and save your relationship with your children in your Charleston divorce.
As an experienced Charleston divorce lawyer, I can answer your South Carolina divorce and child custody questions. To speak directly with me, please call me now at 843-631-7117.
Alternatively, please use the contact form to ask me any questions that you may have regarding your Charleston divorce or child custody case. I will be quick to respond.
Your divorce matters. Working together, we will build a better future for you and your children.